Ph.D Student OF, Department Of Sport Management Science And Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran ,Iran
Professor, Department Of Physical Education and Sport Science, Faculty Humanities and Social Science, Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch, Tehran, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Allameh Tabatab'i University, Tehran, Iran,
Assistant Professor, Department Of Sport Management Science And Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran ,Iran,
Assistant Professor of sports management, Educational Sciences and Psychology, Payam Noor, University,Tehran ,Iran
Document Type : Research Paper
Objectives: The objective of this study is to formulate a model for national champions' reluctance to sport retirement.
Methodology: This research is exploratory-fundamental in terms of scope, qualitative in terms of methodology, and data-based in terms of strategy, with theoretical foundations and interviews as its data collection source. The population includes coaches, physical education masters, retired athletes and athletes. Targeted and quota sampling was conducted for exploratory interviews and the interviews with 22 people accounted for theoretical saturation. The interviews were depicted in Maxqda software for qualitative data analysis, along with open coding, axial coding and selective coding of reluctance to sport retirement, and the theory was created.
Results: According to the results, 261 open codes with 21 main categories and 49 sub- categories were extracted in form of a paradigm model of factors of champions' reluctance to sport retirement including economic, individual, sport, social, management and political conditions.
Conclusion: Managers, coaches and athletes' approach toward sport retirement can facilitate the development of programs to adapt individually and organizationally to sport retirement away from individual, social, economic, management and political crises. The research theory was presented along with categories on causative conditions, background factors, interventional factors, strategies and outcomes.
- Adib, M. Parvizy, S., & Salsali M. (2007). Qualitative Research Methods. Tehran: Boshra. [Persian].
- Alfermann, D., Stambulova, N., & Zemaityle, A. (2004). Reactions to sport career termination: A cross-nationalcomparison of German, Lithuanian, and Russian athletes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, (5): 61-75.
- Alfermann, D., & Stambulova, N. (2007). Career transitions and career termination. In G. Tenenbaum & R.C. Eklund (Eds.). Handbook of sport psychology, (3): 712-736. New York: Wiley.
- Baillie, P. H. F. (1993). Understanding retirement from sports: Therapeutic ideas for helping athletes in transition. The Counseling Psychologist, 21(3).
- Blinde, E.M., & Greendorfer, S.L. (1985). A reconceptualization of the process of leaving the role of competitive athlete. International Review of Sport Sociology, (20): 87-94.
- Brown, C. J., Webb, T. L., Robinson, M. A., & Cotgreave, R. (2019). Athletes’ retirement from elite sport: A qualitative study of parents and partners’ experiences. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 40, 51-60.
- Browne, P., Carr, E., Fleischmann, M., Xue, B., & Stansfeld, S. A. (2019). The relationship between workplace psychosocial environment and retirement intentions and actual retirement: a systematic review. European journal of ageing, 16(1), 73-82.
- Butt, J., & Molnar, G. (2009). Involuntary career termination in sport: a case study of the process of structurally induced failure. Sport in Society, 12(2): 240-57
- Chow, B.C. (2002). Support for elite athletes retiring from sport: The case in Hong Kong. Journal of the International Council for Health. Physical Education, Sport and Dance, (38): 37-4.
- Curtis, J., & Ennis, R. (2010). Negative consequences of leaving copetitives sport: Comparative findings for former elite hockey players. Sociology of Sport Journal, 5(2): 87-106.
- Erpic ,S. Wylleman P., & Zupancic, M. (2004). The effects of athletic and non-athletic factors on the sport career termination process. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 5(1): 45-59.
- Fernandez, A. Stephan ,Y., & Fouquereau, E. (2006). Assessing reasons for sport career termination: Development of the Athletes Retirement Decision Inventory (ARDI). Psychology of sport and exercise, 7(4): 407-421.
- Giannone, A. Zarina, H. J. Colleen, D., & Ogrodniczuk S. J. (2017). Athletic Identity And Psychiatric Symptoms Following Retirement From Varsity Sports. International Journal Of Social Psychiatry. First Published August ,63 (7): 598-601.
- Giannone, Z. (2016). Life after sport: the relationship between athletic identity and mental health outcomes after sport retirement.a thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of. University of British Columbia.
- Giddings. L. (2005). Health disparities social injustice, and the culture of nursing. In Nursing Research, 54 (5): 304-312.
- Hashemi, M. Hemati Nejad, M.A. Besar, N. Momeni, S., & Norozi, S. (2015). Sport retirement. Journal of movement science & sports.10(26): 57-69,[Persian].
- Jewett, R., Kerr, G., & Tamminen, K. (2019). University sport retirement and athlete mental health: a narrative analysis. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 11(3), 416-433.
- Jung, H.S., & Yoon, H.H. (2012). The effects of employees’ emotional intelligence on counterproductive behavior and organizational citizenship behavior. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 31(2): 369–378.
- Lavallee, D., & Robinson, H. K. (2007). In pursuit of an identity: A qualitative exploration of retirement from women’s artistic gymnastics. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 8(1): 119-141.
- Martin. L. A. Fogarty, G. J., & Albion, M. J. (2014). Changes in athletic identity and life satisfaction of elite athletes as a function of retirement status. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, (26):96-110.
- Martin. D.A. (2007).The psychological effects of retirement on elite athletes. A thesis , university of Ottawa.
- Menke, D. J., & Germany, M. L. (2019). Reconstructing Athletic Identity: College Athletes and Sport Retirement. Journal of Loss and Trauma, 24(1), 17-30.
- Norozi, R. Mosavi, K., & Fatahi, F. (1395). Model design of discrimination in sport teams . Journal of sport management, 8(4): 495-510. [Persian].
- Park, S. Tod, D., & Lavallee, D. (2012). Exploring the retirement from sport decision-making process based on the transtheoretical model. Psychology of sport & exercise.
- Patsourakou, E. (2012). Perceptions about career termination among Greek female elite athletes .MPhilTheses (Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences)LoughboroughUniversityhttps://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/6253.
- Price, N. Morrison, N., & Arond, Sh. (2010). Life out of the Limelight: Understanding the Non-sporting Pursuits of Elite Athletes. The international journal of sport and society, 1(3): 69-79.
- Salehi, H. (2013). Experience of retirement season of iran retired athletes. Journal of sport management, 9 (3): 389-410, [Persian].
- Santo, D. Lucia, A. Padrao, R. Nogueira, G. Maressa, D. Paula. S., & Bohme Maria, T. ( 2016). Elite Athletes’ Perception Of Retirement Support Systems. International Journal Of Physical Education, Sports And Health, 3(1): 192-199. ISSN: 2394-1693.
- Simon, J. E., & Docherty, C. L. (2014). Current health-related quality of life is lower in former Division I athletes than in non-collegiate athletes. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 42(2): 9-423.
- Steffen, K. Engebretsen, L. (2010). More data needed on injury risk among young elite athletes. British journal of sports medicine, (44): 485-489.
- Stoltenburg, L. Amber, K. Cindra, B., & Karin, L. (2012). Transitioning out of sport: The psychosocial effect of collegiate athletes' career- ending injuries Athletic Insight. The online journal of sport psychology, 3:(2) 2-17.
- Surujlal, J. (2016). Influence of organizational support on retirement planning and financial management of professional soccer players. Polish journal of management studies, 13:(2) 164-174.
- Tojari, F., & Moshkel gosha, E. (2014). The process of transferring athletes from championshop sport to retirement. Journal of sport management,19 (5): 63-80, [Persian].
- Van ,R. Judy ,L., & Andersen, M. (2007). Roles and agendas when helping athletes leave their sports. The Sport Psychologist, 21 (2): 227-242.
- Walsh, D. W., Green, B. C., Holahan, C., Cance, J. D., & Lee, D. (2019). Healthy aging? An evaluation of sport participation as a resource for older adults in retirement. Journal of Leisure Research, 1-25.
- Warriner KL, D. (2008). The retirement experiences of elite female gymnasts: self-identity and the physical self. Journal of Applied Sport Psycholog, 20 (3): 301-17.